It is currently Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Res's Rig 
Retired
Retired

Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:09 pm
Word. BTW I went back and looked at that article again and the optimization problem wasn't so much with the games as it was that the testbed was a Skulltrail platform. ATI hadn't focused yet on optimizing anything for Skulltrail.

Frankly, I don't really even get going that route. How many games out there take advantage of more than two cores anyway, let alone eight?

Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:29 am
OK, got the SLI working. PSU humming along nice and quiet and cool. Stripped out a few thigngs from the rig, including a fan bus that had a brilliant blue light in it that I kinda miss a little, and might have to mod in a couple of LEDs to get the same effect. Everything's running nice and stable, and without any real tweaking the 3Dmark06 jumped up from 16100 to 18612 -- to be honest I expected a bit bigger of a bump, but then again I might have just been thinking wishfully.

Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:16 pm
Retired
Retired

That is actually a very solid score bud!! More than enough to play any game out now!

Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:18 am

Every score I see that's higher for this setup, someone's water cooling and has their 6700 oced to 3.8 or 4.0 pushing 1.6on the volts, and has the 8800GTS cards waterblocked and oced up to 800 or so a piece. Considering that this is air cooled, I'm going to call this 'good' for now. My temps are really nice, it's stable through every test I've done so far, and it plays everything I'm throwing at it. Hell, I might even pick up Crysis.

Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:30 am
Retired
Retired

IMO as stated before I think Crysis is an awesome single player game, but I think multiplayer blows.

Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:59 am
I don't even have the time to do more than one multiplayer game at a time anyway. I think I'm just gonna throw a couple of single-player games into the mix to keep myself from getting burned out on BF2 64 man.

Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:19 am

I backed my rig off a little bit from where I had it because I was worried about bricking my system. It's still pretty nice and I'm really happy at where it is for a budget build.

Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:53 pm
BTW the nominal voltage is where nTune says it is, but the actual CPU voltage is sitting around 1.38. My memory is underclocked and the timings are set to 4-5-5 13 1T.

Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:54 pm

My Norton suite starts annoying me, letting me constantly know that my subscription is going to cease (in a few weeks).

Now, it's kept my system safe and clean but, you know, I hate nagware, hate it hate it hate it and the Norton people are kind of fucked up in the sales department, they're very aggressive with the customer and that's not what I like, so I decide -- fuck 'em, I'll look at a new AV.

Now, I've been looking at new AV for a while, following what's good and what's not, and the new Norton suite for 2009 is actually supposed to be a lot better than 2008, a lot lighter on resources... but at this point I'm mostly going to a new AV because I'm sick of Norton nagging me, so that's out. I know a lot of people like Trend Micro, so I look at that. AVG, Avast Pro, BitDefender, Kaspersky, even McAfee although I really don't like McAfee at all.

I talk to a few people I know and between that, a fair bit of reading, looking at the reviews that sites put up. Also looking at the NewEgg reviews because although a lot of those are from people who don't know shit, a lot of the 'professional' reviews are kinda unreliable in a 'cash exchanged hands before I wrote this review' sort of way, so it's good to see both sides.

And I end up settling on ESET NOD32 v3.0. Hands down, looks like what I want in a lot of ways and gets awesome reviews all over the place, everywhere from MaximumPC to the Newegg reviews. Light footprint, isn't annoying, kills everything dead, five star reviews everywhere you go.

And then -- see, this is how this shit happens -- I notice that it works with 64 bit OSes too. You just download the 64 bit version. And I go 'hm, I've been thinking about going to a 64 bit OS.'

So this is how I end up going to get an antivirus suite and somehow also manage to buy 64 bit Vista. I could have got 64 bit XP for like $139 but... there's a lot of stuff where the XP 64 bit drivers are really sketchy, and I'm also thinking that as soon as Windows 7 comes out that Microsoft is going to finally sever the cords on XP and stop even pretending to do a good job of maintaining and supporting it. And I'm also thinking that even though Windows 7 is coming, I ain't going to want to buy it for a while because I'm sure there's going to be plenty of bugs that need fixed at first.

And then, after I put some 64 bit Vista in my cart (sticking with Home Premium for now, I know Ultimate has some nice stuff but a fair bit of it I don't need, I'll keep XP on as well and have a dual boot loading machine and just use the 64 bit Vista as my gaming platform) I go 'hm. You know, I can have as much RAM as I want now.' And I look at those two empty slots on the board.

And that's how I end up with another 4 GB of RAM in the cart. That's how this shit happens to me. Instead of just renewing my antivirus like everyone fucking else, I gotta buy a bunch of shit.

Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:21 pm
:lol2: at Res!!! I think it happens to everyone.

Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:50 pm
Game Admin
Game Admin

i got a nice new 24" monitor..... want to run everything at it's native resolution of 1920X1200....... now to keep frames up in crysis and FC2 i need to get 2nd video card for SLI.......to run them i need to get bigger PSU.... etc.. etc..

Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:36 am

I just put a 1000 watt in mine when I made the switch to I7. When I put the new board in, I found out it supports tri crossfire and am thinking about doing it. 3 X 2900xtHD 1gig cards. Got 2 right now.

(='.'=)
(")_(")

Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:29 am
yep it does...

i got a nice new 24" monitor..... want to run everything at it's native resolution of 1920X1200....... now to keep frames up in crysis and FC2 i need to get 2nd video card for SLI.......to run them i need to get bigger PSU.... etc.. etc..

Crysis does this to people. And the frustrating part is that SLIing doesn't make much of a difference for it. Some but not a lot.

You could always just grab a GTX295 or whatever. See, this is how this shit works! You go 'hm, single card solutions are good for Crysis' so you budget out the extra few hundred dollars for a GTX295. And then you're like 'hm, now I can SLI GTX 295s'. Then you're like 'hm, I should get a bigger power supply.' Then when you end up with SLIed GTX 295s you're like 'ooh, now I can probably get an even bigger monitor and have it look good.'

'Then you're like 'hm, Crysis's framerate is OK on this, but it could be better. Maybe I need tri SLI.'

You end up building a seven computer cluster with a Siemens wall display and going 'hm, I need a bigger room for this'. And the wife's going 'honey, did you pay the mortgage this month?'

Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:55 am
I didn't win the $43 million in the lottery last night, so I guess I'm going to continue reinstalling everything on this POS.

Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next