It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Res's Rig 
Storm suggested I repost this over here.

Nice, inexpensive build that does pretty well.

Stats:

Lian Li PC-7 case, soundproofed with FrozenCPU insulation, four lo-noise 120mm fans on rubber mounts, one 80mm lo-noise top exhaust fan on rubber float, assorted lights including a sweet blue plasma tube and an external plasma glass that changes patterns with ambient noise, and an AlphaCool LCD on the front.

q6700 2.66 GHz quad core, overclocked lightly to 3.5 GHz on a massive Tuniq air-cooling heatsink. (got this for the price of a q6600, otherwise I just would have gone that way, but I think the q6700s got binned very conservatively, I'm sure I could push this to 4GHz no problem w/ this cooler)
4 GB 800MHz DDR2, oc'ed to 950 or thereabouts.
EVGA 780i motherboard
EVGA 8800 GTS g92 512MB video card, OCed to @700 or so
Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty champion class sound card
DVD-ROM. DVD-RAM Lightscribe burner
Raptor 150GB hard drive
OCZ StealthXstream PSU

Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:44 pm
Retired
Retired

:mrgreen: Sweet rig!!!!!!!!!!! I like the case alot.

Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:28 pm
My thinking was to go SLI in case I decided I needed to upgrade video capacity. I guess if I were banging around w/ Crysis I'd need to do that, but for what I'm playing right now I find the video capacity to be more than adequate. IAC at this point rather than go SLI I think I'm going to wait a bit for the new boards to mature and some of the price craziness to ease out, then I'll just buy something really powerful and maybe buy a second one at the same time and THEN go SLI.

No complaints about the processor, that's for sure. This is the first board I've ever gamed on where I got away from the Intel chipsets and I have no complaints so far.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:57 am
Weird, I was logged in when I posted that, too.

Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:58 am
Retired
Retired

Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:20 am
I'm upgrading the power supply to a 700 watt OCZ GameXStream because I noticed something -- when I start having voltage issues, my PSU is REALLY hot.

Also came across another EVGA 8800GTS 512 for dirt cheap and figured WTF. Two of them in SLI benchmark a lot better than a single one of the newer cards, and spending $150 beats spending $450 or $600. I know I can play a lot of newer games with just one of 'em and that the market is crazy now and nVidia and ATI are at war and soon some really cool cards will be priced really well, but what can I say, I blew $150 on my computer jones.

Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:18 am
Retired
Retired

Just make sure with your OC and two cards that 700 will be adequate. Always better to go a little higher than to be screwed. :wink:

Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:22 am
I ran the calcs out on it... they came up around 600 watts.

Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:35 am
Retired
Retired

Should be ok, but also calculate the efficiency.

Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:41 am
That's good advice in the round. Even at peak the efficiency on this thing is supposed to be over 85%. If I'm missing something, let me know.

I should clarify -- using the Antec tool that I linked here, putting in all my gear, with the overclock and the two boards in SLI, assuming 100% CPU utilization and that the system runs at 90% peak 24/7, it still recommends I get something under 650 watts. Even if I take it up to 100%, 24/7 load on all components, like I was using it as a server for BF2, I'm still under 700. And mind that this takes into account a 20% degradation due to capacitor aging from 100% load, 24/7 use, which again probably won't be a factor. So double checking and triple checking and padding the figures to a level of usage I won't ever go near, 700 watts should be more than enough for this system for the next couple of years. (Using their recommendation, which is 85% CPU load and 90% total system load, and adding their recommended 20% to the wattage to account for long term degradation, I come out somewhere like 603 watts)

I like the idea of being safe rather than sorry, and that it's good to pad the PSU up a bit because it's better to have 200 watts you aren't using and paid $50 more for than it is to have 20 watts you need and don't have because you paid $50 less. But I like the concept of this rig, which is to see what all kinda performance I can get w/o going to the top of the line on anything... the whole point of this rig is to see what kind of performance I can get on a best-bang-for-the-buck build, and also, to be frank, I don't want to put anything so expensive into this box that I would cry if I fried it goofing around with stuff, kna wha I mean?

In fact, when I go into my system to install this hardware I'm going to remove a couple of things as well -- my front LCD is very pretty, but the system doesn't always want to recognize it and it's gotten to be a bit of a pain. I'm pulling out an extra 10kRPM drive that I believe is starting to fail and I haven't used anyway. I want to lean things down a bit.

Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:25 pm
I think if I were to start planning to build a top of the line rig right now, I'd go with an extreme Penryn on one of the newest Asus DDR3 boards, dual boot in 64 bit Vista and 64 bit XP Pro on a Velociraptor with a mirrored 1TB backup tandem, 4GB of DDR3-1600, one of the new Fatal1ty Titanium sound cards and either GTX280s in SLI or -- and I'm leaning this way, although it takes a leap of faith that the drivers will be up to snuff-- 2 4870X2s in crossfire. Throw in water cooling and a pump and a Peltier for the chip and... god, I think I'd need at least 1300 watts with a lot of amps pushing on the 12V. Do they even MAKE power supplies bigger than 1200 volts? I'd need a supplementary PSU.

And you know something, I could actually afford that system, my wife would be pissed but I could swing that OK... but good god, I don't think I could bring myself to OC it for fear that I'd have to replace it all.

Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:20 pm

I seen a Thermaltake the other day that i believe was 1500 or 1800 watts.

Here's another

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... CatId=2535

(='.'=)
(")_(")

Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:22 pm
Holy crap, 1600 watts! Do the house lights dim when you turn it on?

I like the modular wiring, no doubt, though,

Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:29 pm
Retired
Retired

I am running 2 3870 X2's and the drivers are fine.

Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:10 pm
Read an article the other day where a computer magazine was building its dream rig and they got the use of two 4870X2s. Their conclusion was that the 4870x2 was awesome... but they blew at Crysis, a single GTX280 waxed 'em. And the rationale given by ATI is just that the drivers hadn't been optimized for that game yet, which is understandable since the cards aren't even going to be sold for a few months.

That's a problem sometimes with ATI, they lag in driver support because nVidia is so much bigger and they have so much more swing with game developers.

Twin 3870x2s, huh? Bet that spanks.

Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next