It is currently Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 New rig being built soon. 
Well, I'm at 3580MHz right now, without any voltage increases. The motherboard I'm using is a little confusing with the voltage settings, I'll be playing with it slowly. I had it running at 3.8GHz overnight with just the multiplier turned up, and although it was running OK all night (at 100% usage running Folding@home) it BSOD on me when I was doing some video encoding. But since I hadn't increased any voltages, I'm not surprised.

I'm running about 49C, with an ambient temp of 33C. That's at 100% load on all four cores. It's down to 39C at idle.

I did boot and run for a bit at 4.0GHz, but the computer rebooted. Again, though, that was without any voltage increase.

The Folding@home program pushes an overclock harder than just about anything out there, so I'm not expecting to run at 4.0 all the time. 3.8 with a minimal voltage increase would be good.

I also need to get a set of bolts so I can add a second fan to the radiator. A push-pull setup on it does wonders.

EDIT: So, in my email this afternoon, I get a "Product Voting Invitation" from Newegg - for the hard drive that I had to RMA!!! :lol:

Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:27 pm
Well, my replacement hard drive is supposed to be on the UPS truck for delivery. Meanwhile, the keyboard that I shipped out is still in transit between Illinois and California. Hopefully the return on that will be a bit quicker...

So I'll be able to get my RAID0 arrays built tonight.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:00 am

Only differences I see in your CPUZ shot are mine is at a lower voltage - 1.43 vs. 1.44

And my "Brand ID" is 14. But I'd guess that is just the 955 vs. 965 difference.

My temps (at 100% load) are up to 53C~54C today, but it is damn hot for April. Ambient in my case is about 40C...

Last edited by Outback on Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:10 pm
Game Admin
Game Admin

i cannot OC mine any more. it's an intel so miltiplier is locked ( non-extreme edition) but at least it is stable @3.2 ( it is a 2.66 normally and it is stable @ 3.2 on stock heatsink) i want to upgrade the whole system someday, but alas i dont think i will for a long time

Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:12 pm

So, I get home from work this morning and my computer is shut down. Figure that the power flickered during the night, so I push the power button. NOTHING. Check the UPS. (Only use the surge protection since the battery is no good) UPS is shut off. Push power button on UPS. NOTHING. Some stuff in office is working, other stuff isn't. Check power in basement. Circuit breaker is tripped. HUH?

Reset breaker and computer still won't come on. Break out the old power supply and swap with the one that is in it. Powers right up.

DAMN! My nice, new, Mushkin 1000W power supply is DEAD. (For $230, you'd think it would last a while) And whatever happened to it was bad enough to trip the 15A breaker in the basement.

Fortunately everything in the computer seems to be working with my 'old' NZXT 550W supply. (Boy am I glad I got the 125W chip...)

So, I get the RMA done and go to the post office with the package. WTF? Post office closes at 11:15. It's 11:05 and they are locked up tight. So I drive back past my house to the other nearby post office where I manage to drop off the package.

This just isn't my day. I think I'm going to stay away from BF2/BC2 today... I'll just get my ass kicked. :P

Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:43 am
I'll give it a try after I get my good power supply back.

I run 100% load 24/7 anyway with the Folding@Home program. (Even my graphics cards are running at 100%) So my computer is in permanent stress test mode. (All 4 computers running in my house at the moment... Only one gets shut down at night since it is in my daughter's room)

My computer actually gets a "rest" when I game, since I shut down the Folding@Home for gaming (at least the stuff running on my graphics cards)

Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:56 pm
Retired
Retired

Ahhhh...... Welcome to the joys of overclocking. I don't push mine hard like I used to. I find a very nice stable place and stick with it!! I hope all goes back to good though!!

Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:27 pm
Still working on the RMA for my power supply. Looks like I have to go through the manufacturer, since I no longer had the original box. :x Had to cut it up to get the UPC code for the rebate, but Newegg won't take it back without the original packing WITH the UPC code. Bastards.

However, I'm hoping that MSI is planning a BIOS update for my motherboard.

Why?

Is this a good enough reason?

Yes. Yes, it is. :mrgreen:

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:52 am
Retired
Retired

Yeah, that is a good enough reason. I have to look more into the benchmarks, but I have seen that these are actually on par with the i7 965. Quad Vs Six cores, but for the price it is WELL worth it!! I hope they get a BIOS revision out there for you, so you can upgrade! :01:

I'm glad to see AMD releasing their 6 core line especially at a killer price!! Competition is back on!! WOOOOHOOOOO

Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:30 am
Been down for a few days. Fuck again! One of my 2GB memory modules went bad. (Quality OCZ stuff, too) Waiting for an RMA reply from them. So I'm down to "only" 6GB for a while. Got my bad power supply back from Newegg - since I didn't have the original box, they won't replace it. Also waiting on an RMA response from Mushkin about that.

Everything else seems to be working, though. Had to do a complete re-install of Win7, since the bad memory started causing all sorts of corruptions (when the system went bluescreen) on my SSD drives.

Sat May 01, 2010 9:47 am
Retired
Retired

Crap, it seems like you can't catch a break. Just a heads up. I would not buy OCZ anymore as they are actually retiring from making RAM. I found out the hard way recently as I had some older DDR2 that I had to RMA, and it was a HUGE pain in the ass to deal with!! I hope you have better luck.

Sun May 02, 2010 7:22 pm
I am glad that I went with the 4 - 2GB modules, instead of saving some $$ and getting just 2. At least I still have 6GB of RAM at the moment.

Sun May 02, 2010 8:26 pm
=FTW=markoftheiceman wrote:
I have (2) 2 GB sticks of DDR3 idle is around 700 mgb 17%, 38 processes - when I run BC2 it jumps to 1577 mgb 38% - plenty of juice left :aol_poundit:

It wasn't about the total amount of RAM, but if I had only bought two sticks, and one went bad, I'd be down to just 2GB. I'm using about 1468MB right now with my Folding@home programs, Thunderbird, and Firefox running. Doesn't leave a whole lot of slack for when I'm encoding DVDs, etc.

Mon May 03, 2010 9:17 am
Well, my defective power supply and defective RAM arrived at their respective RMA locations today. 2 days via USPS Priority Mail. One package to California and the other to Colorado. Hopefully I'll be up to full power/memory soon.

Oh, and I found out that the current BIOS in my motherboard will support the hex-core AMD. So I'm gonna start saving up.

Fri May 07, 2010 9:21 pm
Yeah, but I use 100% of all cores unless I am gaming. For Folding@home it will make a huge difference. So I'll only see the turbo thing when I game - unless it will allow me to game and leave the Folding running - I can limit the Folding to only a few cores.

From what I've read, they overclock really nicely too. Unlocked multipliers, etc. So I figure 3.8 (I run them hard, so I back off the max that they will do) times 6 cores, should be pretty nice.

Sat May 08, 2010 8:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2