It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 New rig being built soon. 
Well, I ordered the parts. I'll post pics when I get them, and when it is built.

Here's the meat of it:

AMD PhenomII X4 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz 125W

MSI NF980-G65 AM3 Motherboard

8GB of OCZ DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24

Mushkin 1000W Modular Power Supply

OCZ Vertex SSD 30GB - 2 for a RAID0 setup.

Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:34 pm

Why 60 gig raid 0, that just for the OS? was gonna 2x74 patriot warp drives to do os and a few games.

(='.'=)
(")_(")

Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:31 am
Why 60 gig raid 0, that just for the OS? was gonna 2x74 patriot warp drives to do os and a few games.

Yeah, it will be OS and games. I have 4x 500GB SATA2 drives that will be two RAID0 arrays for storage/video encoding/etc.

Although looking at my Program Files directory, even with all the crap I have installed on my current computer, I only use 20GB, so I probably won't be too picky about what gets installed on the SSD.

I'll have enough SATA2 connections that I could possibly go to 4x SSD drives eventually. :twisted:

Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:22 am

Think I'm going to do 3x 74 patriot warp drives in stripe for a second OS since my 5870 don't like win7 64. Would be a waste of 12g of ram to run a single 32 bit OS.

Not a big amd fan, but looks like you should have a nice solid rig.

(='.'=)
(")_(")

Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:03 pm
Not a big amd fan, but looks like you should have a nice solid rig.

They have slid behind Intel for a while now, but since the EU has smacked Intel with some court ruling recently, AMD, if they can keep their heads out of their asses, may start moving up again. Besides, without competition, Intel would stagnate.

Looking at it from a price vs. performance view, AMD wins hands down. I just bought their top of the line desktop chip for under $200. That same price point only gets you a 2.66GHz C2Quad or a 3.3GHz i5 (dual core) from Intel.

Can't wait to see AMD's hex-core desktop chips. Just read that the 2.8GHz will be priced at $199 :shock: And the 3.2GHz at $295.

Yeah, I'm an AMD fanboi. My first AMD was a K6-2/350, and I've had nothing but AMD ever since. (OK, one IBM ThinkPad for my daughter) (Outdated stuff that I've been given doesn't count!)

Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:40 pm
why not get the 955 black edition and crank it up - and save even more - its identical to the 965 except for the + 200 mhz - got my 955 running at 3.8 with temps in the 30's :idea:

Because for only $20~$25, I'm starting out at 3.4 :mrgreen: I'm sure I'll be hitting 3.8 easily, and probably more.

I've got an (extremely) basic watercooling unit coming for it, too.

Corsair Hydro system. Pretty neat and simple for entry level liquid. I'm going to set it up off the back of my case so it doesn't already warm case air, or force warm air into the case either.

Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:25 pm

hate to break it to ya but anything passed 3.9 won't run stable unless you have some extreme exotic cooling like liquid nitrogen - but I always ran AMD processors - gotta support the under-dog, guess Im an AMD fan-bouy as well. :mrgreen:

Your nuts, I run my i7 920 2.66 ,which generates more heat than any other chip I've ever seen because it's quad with hyperthreading, @ 4.2 daily. 24/7 the machine never shuts off and I'm using a basic thermeltake setup.

(='.'=)
(")_(")

Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:41 pm
Co-Command
Co-Command

Why go through all that crap!!!!!!

my 880/286 runs at 40mhz w/old timers electronics, will beat all your asses, HANDS DOWN, SO THERE :mrgreen:

HEll put together even

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
:29: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2: :whack: :lies:

One more thing to Jon, Ice> me to only IBM I had was a 286, after that it has been AMD, hell I do not know which ones I have, but my kids system, is a single core 1.53gig, my Laptop is a 2.0 dualcore, and mine is a 2.7dual, all AMD and I love them :grin:
But you know on a serious note, Stormy said that after multicores came out actually the Intel is now more better and stable than AMD, and I do value his word alot :wink: , so my delema will be that when I am ready for my new build in 1-2yrs if not earlier, which one will I go with :?: , but for that since i am no expert, I will take the advise very seriously from one..
But either way like I said that old 880/286, will beat you all :mrgreen:

Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:46 am
Co-Command
Co-Command

You cant beat that :twisted:

PS ANSWER THE DAMN PHONE with the 240 area code 240-777-xxxx
MAN :0014:

Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:55 am
So, the UPS guy stopped by and left me a few things.

Unfortunately, a few of the other bits are still in transit. Little things, like the power supply. :x

The GTS250 is going into BattleBoy's computer, to upgrade his 9600GSO, and the 9600GSO will go into the wife's computer. (Like it even needs that much to run Farmville) :?

As I get the $$, I plan to add two more 260GTXs for tri-SLI. Or maybe I'll save up and get a GTX480... or three... :twisted:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:35 pm
He also dropped off these, but as it is raining outside, they are far less interesting at the moment.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:41 pm
Retired
Retired

shifty - I was referring to the Phenom II processor :mrgreen: and Rob, your 286 might run cyrcles around all of us but my old Nvidea 7950gt keeps me warm at night frys my eggs and heats up my coffee - beat that :mrgreen: :lol2: :mrgreen: :lol2:

I knew you were talking about the AMD, that's it though...... the overclocking ability of the Core 2's and above are GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! However, there is nothing wrong with AMD. BTW Jon, you do know AMD has some things up their sleeves right???

They now have the worlds fastest server processor............... something tells me (and you are right ....if they get their head out of their ass) they will have a very nice line of desktop CPU's to come. It's not that far off, so the competition will be back on!!! :twisted:

Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:34 pm
Well, I've got it assembled and running, though only at stock speeds at the moment. Wanted to make sure everything runs good before cranking it up. (Yeah, I've played with cranking it up already, but this rig runs 24/7 and I had to work and couldn't babysit it)

So far it's pretty slick. Biggest problem was getting it to boot. Turns out the hard drive (Seagate Barracuda 500GB) that I bought was DOA. Wouldn't even identify itself to the BIOS. (The other three that I had previously showed up just fine) So it's back to Newegg for an RMA, and my two RAID0 arrays for storage will have to wait a few days. :x

The really frustrating part was that I spent a whole lot of time on cable management, and carefully getting everything routed and looking good, and then had to tear the damn thing apart to get the drive out.

I had another item to RMA (a keyboard) and I went to the post office with the package. They wanted $15 to mail it. It's a $30 keyboard. Figured I'd give UPS a try. Was only $10 there (Ground) so off it went. Damn thing got a rescheduled delivery date and isn't expected to arrive until the 9th. :x Should have stuck with the post office. The hard drive went that way, since it fits in one of their "Flat Rate" boxes, and only cost $5 to send. I mailed that on Saturday, and it arrived in California (from NY) on Monday. So I guess in this rare instance, government efficiency actually wins one... :P

I'll get some pics up after I get the new drive and install it. Now I've just got to save my $$ for another couple of 260GTXs or a couple of 480GTXs... :mrgreen:

Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:55 pm
Retired
Retired

Ahhhh the H50............ not knocking it, but it will give ya limited OC's, but great for an overall sealed set it and forget it cooling solution!

Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:01 am
Shit, I've been building computers without tires all these years. What the fuck is wrong with me?

Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next